Ingredients for the sponge
- 60g unsalted butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 10g cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons red food colouring
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120ml buttermilk
- 150g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1½ teaspoon white wine vinegar
Ingredients for the cream cheese
- 300g icing sugar
- 50g unsalted butter
- 125g cream cheese
- Start by preheating the oven to 170°C and line a cupcake tray with your chosen cupcake cases and place to one side.
- In a bowl, mix the butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy in texture. Slowly add the egg and beat until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, red food colouring and vanilla extract to make a thick, dark paste. All brands of red food colouring are different so you may need to experiment to get the right colour. I use a gel as I find I get better results in colour and the consistency doesn’t become too runny as with standard food colouring.
- Pour the paste into the butter mixture and mix thoroughly until evenly combined, making sure you scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Pour in half of the buttermilk and beat until well mixed. Add half of the flour and beat again until fully incorporated. Repeat this process until you have used the buttermilk and flour.
- Next add the salt, bicarbonate of soda, and vinegar and beat until fully combined. Add the mixture to the cupcake cases and place into the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack before adding the cream cheese.
How to (cream cheese)
- Place the butter and icing sugar in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Add the cream cheese and beat until fully incorporated. Take care not to over-mix as the mixture can become runny.
- Spoon the cream cheese into a piping bag with a large star nozzle and pipe onto each cupcake.