These are perfect to take to a party or to give to trick or treaters. Let me know in the comments below what your Halloween plans are.
Ingredients for the sponge
- 40g unsalted butter
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 medium sized egg
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 120ml whole milk
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 120g plain flour
Ingredients for the buttercream
- 250g icing sugar
- 80g unsalted butter
- 25ml whole milk
- Green and orange gel food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180° and prepare a cupcake tray and set to one side. Start off by creaming the butter and sugar together into a pale and fluffy texture. Next add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Pour in the milk and beat again until fully combined. Gradually sift in the flour along with the baking powder and mix again.
- Spoon in the mixture into the prepared tray with your chosen cupcake cakes to around ⅔ full then bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown in colour.
- Once baked, leave to cool on a wire rack and start the vanilla buttercream. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and beat in the butter until fully incorporated. In a separate bowl measure out the milk and vanilla extract and whisk. Pour in a little of the milk mixture using a spoonful at a time and beat between each spoonful until all the milk has been used. Continue mixing until you achieve a light and fluffy texture.
- Share the buttercream equally between two bowls. In one add a little green food colouring and orange to the other bowl. Beat until the colour is evenly distributed. Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes: do the same for each colour then add the Halloween decorations of your choice.