Who can say ‘no’ to a cute Christmas cupcake? These delicious little treats are a twist on the classic Christmas cake, incorporating mixed fruit, brandy and festive spices with a generous amount of smooth almond buttercream topping. Decorated with sweet Christmas toppers, a sprinkle of glitter and pretty paper cases make these a joy to share with family and friends.
Ingredients for the sponge
- 300g mixed fruit
- 100ml brandy
- 200g unsalted butter
- 300g soft dark brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 160g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 60g ground almonds
Ingredients for the buttercream
- 500g icing sugar
- 160g unsalted butter
- 50ml whole milk
- ½ tsp almond essence
- Preheat the oven to 190 / 375 F or gas mark 5. In a bowl, add the mixed fruit and brandy to soak for 30 minutes (alternatively you could use rum). Prepare a cupcake tray with your favourite festive cases and place to one side to use later.
- Start off by beating the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and mixed spice to the creamed mixture and beat together. Add the almonds followed by the brandy-soaked mixed fruit and mix until combined.
- Divide the cupcake batter between the paper cases, filling each two-thirds full. Pop into the oven for 18-20 minutes until the cupcakes have risen and spring back gently when pressed. Leave the cupcakes to cool and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, beat the icing sugar and butter together until a light powdery texture is formed. Gradually add the milk a little at a time beating well between each addition. Add the almond essence and mix until fully combined.
- Either spoon or pipe the buttercream onto each cupcake and decorate as you wish! I used edible glitter and cupcake toppers!