These cupcakes are seriously the go-to comfort food for when you need that sweet treat fix and are perfect for any choc-a-holic! The sponge is light and moist and each cupcake is topped with a generous pipping of chocolate buttercream and of course, Magic Stars! They are best served with cup of tea, your favourite Netflix series and a snuggly blanket.
Magic Stars Cupcakes
- 100 g Plain Flour
- 20 g Cocoa Powder
- 140 g Caster Sugar
- 1½ tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 40 g Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
- 120 ml Milk (whole)
- 1 Egg
- ¼ tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) Gas 3.
- Prepare a 12-hole cupcake tray with your favourite cupcake cases. I love these foil ones but any will do.
- Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking pwder, salt and butter into a bowl and mix until you achieve a sandy consistency and eveything is combined.
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a jug, then slowly pour about half into the flour mixture. Beat to combine and ensure there are no lumps in the mixture.
- Pour in the remaining milk mixture and beat until it is fully incorporated. Scrape down the the sides of the bowl with a spatula to ensure you have all the mixture. Continue mixing until you achieve a nice, smooth consistency.
- Spoon the mixture into your prepared cupcake tray (around ⅔ full) and bake for 20-25 minutes. To check if the cupcakes a baked, insert a skewer into the centre – if it comes out clean, they are ready. Leave the cupcakes to cool on a wire cooling rack.
- 300 g Icing Sugar (sifted)
- 100 g Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
- 40 g Cocoa Powder (sifted)
- 40 ml Milk (whole)
- Beat the icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder together until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
- Add the milk to the butter mixture a couple of spoonfuls at a time. Once the milk has been used up, continue beating (around 5 minutes) until the frosting is light and fluffy. Put the frosting into a piping bag with a large star nozzle and pipe onto your cupcakes.
- Add the Magic Stars to your cupcakes (I used 3 per cupcake). Serve and enjoy!